Links From Two Dans

January 8th, 2008

Dan Phillips had a very interesting post over at the Pyromaniacs blog. It involves this verse:

When Jesus saw him lying there and knew that he had already been there a long time, he said to him, “Do you want to be healed?”
(John 5:6)

Dan looks at the issue, “Doesn’t that look like a dumb question? Isn’t it obvious the guy would want to be healed?” He comes up with an interesting possibility for why Jesus asked the question. And whether he’s right about that or not, I thought his observations were very insightful, edifying, and convicting. It involves asking, “Are you really willing for God to change you? Do you want to become healthy, or are you too attached to the way you are?”

Meanwhile, I got a compliment from a well-known scholar today! At the Parchment and Pen blog, Dan Wallace posted an entry on textual criticism–the study of places where the New Testament manuscripts differ from one another. Dan Wallace is a big-name Greek scholar. He wrote a major Greek grammar textbook, Greek Grammar Beyond The Basics, and he’s one of the top 10 scholars in textual criticism. (I think there are 11 in the world. πŸ™‚ ) He wrote a good review of Bart Ehrman’s book, Misquoting Jesus, a NYT best-seller that tries to argue that we can’t have confidence that our Bible is the same as the original. He also cowrote a book as a response, called Reinventing Jesus.

Anyway, Wallace has been writing a series of posts to introduce people to textual criticism and talk about various issues. I posted some comments in today’s entry with the username “Jugulum”, replying to some questions that someone asked. Then later, Wallace posted his own answer. And when he did, he also said, “BTW, Jugulum has given excellent responses to your questions. I don’t know who he or she is, but I like what s/he has to say!”

Cool. I love the internet. πŸ™‚

Tags: , ,

10 Responses to “Links From Two Dans”

1. Dan Wallace says:

Actually, I’m in the top 100 textual critics in the world, but since there’s only 50, that’s not saying much! And I still don’t know what your name is (:-).

2. Tim says:

Ah, thanks for the correction! (And let the record show that I would not have used that line had I not heard some version of it first from…well, it was either you or someone interviewing you, I think. πŸ™‚ )

Oh, my name’s Tim Margheim. (See my About page.) It’s a pleasure to meet you. Sort of. (That’s “sort of meet you”, not “it’s sort of a pleasure”. πŸ™‚ Let’s get our adverbs assigned correctly!)

Hmm, perhaps I should provide people with a link to your text criticism ministry, the Center for the Study of New Testament Manuscripts. Here’s the video from your trip to Patmos explaining what y’all do, and here’s one of your blog entries doing the same. Both have some pretty cool pictures.

3. Katy says:

we’re not worthy! we’re not worthy! πŸ™‚

4. Mel says:

Hi, Tim.

VERY pleased to “meet” you. I read your posts as Jugulum over at Pen and Parchment, and Dr. Wallace is right—your views are spot on!

And your site is great, too. I’ve added it to my blogroll.

God bless you, brother!

Mel

5. Truth Unites... and Divides says:

Hi Tim!

Good posts at P&P! Glad to see that you also frequent Team Pyro!

God bless you,

Truth Unites… and Divides

6. Tim says:

Mel,

Thanks for the link! I think you’re the first person I don’t know who has linked to my blog. πŸ™‚

TUaD,

Thanks. At P&P, I recognized your name from the Team Pyro combox. I don’t comment there much, but when I do, it’s as “Tim”.

Re: Your comment at P&P about scholars who become Catholics
    Hmm…It does seem to be philosophers who swim the Tiber, doesn’t it? Not so often the exegetes. Iiiinteresting. πŸ™‚

Take care!

7. wedding gown says:

Today, Indian remains as a source for quality jewellery designs.
    After one side of the beads are strung, slide on the pendant, then continue sliding on the other beads.
    Agate beads are usually hugely patterned like jasper beads, but they are a a lot
    more colorful and clear semi precious beads.

8. An interesting discussion is worth comment. I think that you should write more
    on this subject, it may not be a taboo subject but typically people do not speak about these topics.
    To the next! Kind regards!!

9. personal Jewelry