My Christian Radio Shows

August 31st, 2007

There are a few Christian radio shows that I listen to regularly, all available for downloading online. I’ve found them each to be in some measure informative, interesting, edifying, encouraging, educational, and/or profitable. (Of course, that doesn’t mean I always agree with everything they say. I have disagreed with all of them. It means I appreciate them enough to listen to them.) In the order in which I discovered them: (1) Stand to Reason, with Greg Koukl, (2) The Dividing Line, with James R. White, (3) The Narrow Path, with Steve Gregg, and (4) Iron Sharpens Iron, with Chris Arnzen.

Keep reading for a nutshell description of each show and links to their online archives.

(Feel free to leave a comment with your own recommendations for good Christian radio available online.)

1.) Stand To Reason, with Greg Koukl of Stand To Reason Ministries. STR is a weekly 2-hour call-in show on Sunday evenings, with occasional guests for the first hour. Koukl takes any question on ethics, values, and religion. To access the archives, you’ll have to register (for free). They also have a blog and essays/articles on a variety of topics, and their online store has books, videos, and lots of good audio materials. (You can buy most of the audio materials at a discount as downloadable mp3s.) One of STR’s main focuses (foci?) is “ambassador training”, as they say in their vision statement:

Stand to Reason equips Christian ambassadors with knowledge, wisdom, and character. An effective ambassador has three essential skills:

Knowledge – an accurate grasp of the foundational precepts of the Kingdom
Wisdom – skillful, tactical, fair, and diplomatic use of knowledge
Character – a mature expression of virtue, warmth, and personal depth

2.) The Dividing Line, with Dr. James R. White of Alpha & Omega Ministries. The Dividing Line is a one-hour Tuesdays & Thursdays show. The show, along with the ministry as a whole, deals with a broad spectrum of apologetics. Dr. White defends a Reformed Baptist position–he deals with things like Catholic/Protestant issues, Islam, Calvinism/Arminianism, Mormons, Jehovah’s Witnesses, and the authority, inerrancy, and perspicuity of Scripture. He has also written an excellent book on the King James Only movement–debunking it, that is. And on February 1, 2007, he started a great series on textual criticism–the transmission of Biblical manuscripts, how we got the Bible, how differences between manuscripts are evaluated, etc.

The site can be a bit tough to navigate. Each show is posted to an entry in the AOMin blog. To find the archived shows, you select the Dividing Line category and scroll through the entries. There are articles in links on the sidebar, but most of the writing is in blog entries. Dr. White has done 60+ debates, available for download through the mp3 section of AOMin’s online store. (I’ve learned a lot listening to some of those debates.)

One more word about Dr. White. (I wasn’t sure whether to bring this up, or quite what to say about it, but I’ll give it a shot.) There’s a tension in the way we communicate as Christians. One the one hand, there’s a need for clear, passionate proclamation of the truths of the gospel. This includes passion for the exclusivity of Christ; it includes Jesus calling people white-washed tombs full of decay; it includes Paul calling people false brethren preaching false gospels; it includes calling people to repentance and enforcing church discipline. On the other hand, there’s a need for gracious, loving speech. This includes Jesus speaking softly to the adulteress about to be stoned and to the Samaritan woman at the well; it includes a humble spirit. Some people are so worried about giving offense that they go out of their way to soften everything they say, and can end up diluting the gospel as a result–they’re more concerned about people’s feelings than speaking the needed truth plainly. Others are zealous in such a way that they wind up acting like jerks–and if I offend someone, I want it to be the gospel itself that offends them, not my own personality. We should avoid both mistakes. We need wisdom in knowing how to speak. Every person and circumstance is unique. As Paul said in Col. 4:6, “Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person.” (And remember, gracious speech may include blunt condemnation of hypocrisy and bad teaching.) We have to seek for a good measure of pastoral wisdom in how we conduct ourselves.

I appreciate Dr. White’s plain, clear proclamation. He does end up offending many people–if he errs, he errs on the side of bluntness. (And I doubt he would claim to be perfect in this respect.) Controversy seems to congeal around him. By that I mean both profitable controversy–in-depth discussion of important issues–and unprofitable controversy–vitriolic personal attacks and the like. I’ll say that there have been times when I have wondered if he was too harsh or unnecessarily argumentative. I think he could be nicer sometimes without sacrificing truth. But I’ll also say that much (or most) of the offense that people take is to the message, not the messenger. And that is nothing to be ashamed of.

So, if you listen to or read Dr. White’s materials, be aware of the issue. And remember that the most important thing is not personalities, but the truth.

3.) The Narrow Path, with Steve Gregg. This is an hour-long call-in show every weekday afternoon, responding to any questions people ask about the Bible & Christianity. I appreciate Steve’s patient, pleasant manner. His site uses frames, so I won’t provide direct links, but you can go to the main page and use the links on the left. In addition to the radio archives, Steve has topical lectures, topical articles, and verse-by-verse teaching on most of the Bible. (Be forewarned: The whistling of the intro theme song will become forever lodged in your mind.)

4.) Iron Sharpens Iron, with Chris Arnzen. I just discovered this one a couple weeks ago. It’s a one-hour show on every weekday. It’s based in New York City, and it just started to be archived online. Chris has guests on the show to discuss a wide variety of topics, and takes questions from callers for the guests. Every Friday he does a Pastors’ Roundtable, where he invites a few pastors on the show. (For these shows, callers can ask questions on any topic.) From what I understand, Dr. White has been a somewhat regular guest since the show started a year ago. Steve Camp–the songwriter and blogger–has also been a regular guest.

Recent interesting topics include Eastern Orthodoxy, disturbing trends in the charismatic & Pentecostal movements (presented by three charismatic/Pentecostal pastors), divorce and remarriage (with Steve Camp), and a Christian response to illegal immigration.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

12 Responses to “My Christian Radio Shows”

1. Al Margheim says:

I listen to Alistair Begg’s “Truth for Life” program almost daily. Alistair is an evangelical minister from Scotland and his program is a daily sermon of expositional preaching. Highly recommened. See http://www.truthforlife.org

2. Ever since I finished reading The Potter’s Freedom by James White, I’ve been a fan of his. I like that he also provides videos of some of his talks for free at his website.

To your list, I would add Ravi Zacharias:

He’s is one of my heroes.

-EI

3. Tim says:

Dad, thanks for reminding me of Alistair Begg. And I agree with you about his Scottish accent; it does make his sermons more pleasant to listen to. :)

The Truth For Life website has his sermons available for streaming, but you have to pay to download them. They’re available for free download at Oneplace.com.

E.I., thank for sharing Ravi Zacharias; I agree, he’s a good one.

4. Chris Arnzen says:

FIVE-DAY RADIO DEBATE on
    “Iron Sharpens Iron” on the theme:
    “The DOCTRINES of SOVEREIGN GRACE:
    Biblical Truths or Dangerous Fallacies?”

When: Monday through Friday, March 3-7, 3-4pm EST

Where: Heard live in NY & CT on WNYG-1440AM, heard live WORLDWIDE at http://www.sharpens.org/

Debate Opponents:

OPPOSING Calvinism:
    DR. F. LaGARD SMITH, author of Troubling Questions For Calvinists . Dr. Smith is the author of over twenty other thought-provoking books on a wide variety of topics, both doctrinal and inspirational, including Out on a Broken Limb: A Response to Shirley McClaine, Sodom’s Second Coming: Equipping You & Your Family for the Coming Homosexual Assault, ACLU: The Devil’s Advocate (The Seduction of Civil Liberties in America) and Fallen Shepherds, Scattered Sheep: A Time for Spiritual Renewal. He is also the compiler and narrator of the best-selling The Daily Bible . He does most of his writing in the quiet Cotswold countryside of England, which inspired his own bestselling reflective journal, Meeting God in Quiet Places. In the States, Dr. Smith has spent a lifetime teaching both law and religion at Christian universities, including Pepperdine University in Malibu, CA. Lipscomb University in Nashville, TN and most recently at Liberty University in Lynchburg, VA. He is now retired from teaching and is writing full time.

DEFENDING Calvinism:

DR. LAWRENCE W. CARRINO, founding and Senior Pastor of Grace Gospel Church, an Evangelical Free Church on Long Island, where he has served for over 20 years. He has earned degrees from Moody Biblie Institute , Trinity Evangelical Divinity School , Trinity Theological Seminary , Master’s Divinity School and has studied at Talbot School of Theology . His four earned degrees are: Bachelor’s in Bible, Theology, and two Master’s degrees in Church History and Biblical Counseling. His doctorate is in Theology with an emphasis in the Church Fathers. He is currently working on a 2nd doctorate in Biblical Counseling. He is the founder and Chairman of The Omega Institute, providing audio, video, print materials and live events which assist believers in understanding and appreciating the Word of God as well as helping the church to equip the saints for works of service . He is the author of a number of articles on the web as well as two books which will be coming out in 2008: Uncommon Grace: The Gift of Acceptance & Eastern Orthodoxy: An Evangelical Assessment. He is currently working on a book length response to Dr. Smith’s Troubling Questions for Calvinists. He is currently sitting on his denomination’s district credentialling board.

DEBATE SCHEDULE:

MONDAY, 3/3/08
    DR. F. LaGARD SMITH: Alone with calls from listeners at (631)321-WNYG (9694)

TUESDAY, 3/4/08
    DR. LAWRENCE W. CARRINO: Questions Dr. F. LaGard Smith (NO calls from listeners)

WEDNESDAY, 3/5/08
    DR. F. LaGARD SMITH: Questions Dr. Lawrence W. Carrino (NO calls from listeners)

THURSDAY, 3/6/08
    DR. CARRINO & DR. SMITH: Closing Comments & calls from listeners at (631)321-WNYG (9694)

FRIDAY, 3/7/08
    DR. LAWRENCE W. CARRINO: Alone with calls from listeners at (631)321-WNYG (9694)

5. Tim says:

Chris,

Thanks for the notification. I missed it live, but I’ll be sure to download the mp3s.

6. Andrew says:

Tim,

I have a long commute everyday and occasionally download sermons from truth for life onto my computer and then on to my IPOD shuffle. I’ve never had to pay for the download. Just chiming in here. They are free as far as I know. Have a good one.

• Harry truthe says:

To those of you who were not aware…”Larry Carrino” has been deemed a “sexual predator” in the press for misusing his pastorate to seduce women for years…I suggest that you search this out and disseminate as noone else need be deceived by this fraudster and lier..sad but true..

7. ask says:

What i do not realize is in fact how you are not actually a lot more smartly-liked than you might be now.
    You are very intelligent. You already know therefore considerably
    in the case of this topic, produced me individually imagine
    it from a lot of various angles. Its like men and women aren’t involved until it’s something to accomplish with Woman gaga!
    Your individual stuffs outstanding. All the time maintain it up!

8. alessi design akkusauger test

My Christian Radio Shows | Through A Glass, Dimly

9. Corrin River says:

This site was… how do I say it? Relevant!! Finally I’ve found something that helped me. Appreciate it!

10. It’s really very difficult in this busy life to listen news on Television, therefore I only use the web for that purpose, and take the hottest information.

11. Hello There. I discovered your blog using msn. That is an extremely well written article.
    I’ll be sure to bookmark it and come back to learn more
    of your useful information. Thank you for the post.
    I’ll definitely comeback.